Population: 528,720,588 (est.)
List of Countries:
- North America is the third-largest continent in area after Asia and Africa, and the fourth in population after Asia, Africa, and Europe.
- North America was named after the explorer Americo Vespucci.
- Mexico City, Mexico is the largest city in North America.
- North America is the only continent that has every kind of climate.
- Death Valley, in California, is the lowest point on the continent.
North America is a continent wholly within the Northern Hemisphere and almost wholly within the Western Hemisphere. It is also considered a northern subcontinent of the Americas. It is bordered to the north by the Arctic Ocean, to the east by the Atlantic Ocean, to the west and south by the Pacific Ocean, and to the southeast by South America and the Caribbean Sea.
North America covers an area of about 24,709,000 square kilometers (9,540,000 square miles), about 4.8% of the planet’s surface or about 16.5% of its land area. As of July 2008, its population was estimated at nearly 529 million people across 23 independent states. North America is the third-largest continent in area, following Asia and Africa, and the fourth in population after Asia, Africa, and Europe.